Stubbornness is when someone refuses to change their mind about an idea or an action that he is about to take. A stubborn person also refuses to give a clear explanation or reason for their resistance. One thing that can make parenting more frustrating is to deal with their kid who is stubborn and adamant. Such kids will want things in his way all the time. There are several things that you can try doing to change his behavioral patterns.?Kids being adamant and stubborn are quite common in nature. It is the manner of demonstrating that your kid can think themselves and can make a self decision on their thoughts and beliefs. But it is a challenging task for the parents to tackle them without affecting their mental health. Imbibing discipline in such kids must be done with utmost care and affection.
- Parents should have clarity among themselves about what is good for your kid and what is not. Elsewhere they might fall a victim for the tantrums of their adamant kid. If the kid sees a sympathetic approach in the mother when the father restricts, or vice versa, then they will practice tantrums to their mother or vice versa to achieve their needs. The parents should always be conscious to keep in mind that their kid?s requests are reasonable to be followed. Hence if parents set a clear frame among themselves, the adamant nature of the kid can be tackled.
- If the issue is not very serious, then the parent can try to negotiate and convince the kid for being wrong and can try for a compromise and settle it. When a parent pampers the kid a lot, over a phase of time, the kid tend to become adamant to fulfill their desire whether good or bad it may account for.
- Parents should try to differentiate between good and bad demands of their kid. Setting a good example to the kid can be done. Stubborn kids have a tendency to do what they wish. They feel what they think is right and do the same. In such circumstances, it would be advisable to set a role model for the kid so that they can try to imitate the role model?s personality traits. This can hamper them from being adamant.? Discussing and differentiating about disrespectful behaviour and respectful behaviour also helps to handle such situations.
- >Parents would have a spontaneous reaction of losing their temperament and tend to scold the kid in such circumstances. Being polite to express this will be more effective than forcefully restricting the kid from demanding something and being adamant. Parents should remain patient enough to tackle with this persistent action of the kids.
- Kids might not be happy to share their personal belongings with others. In such cases, the parent can take the child to some park where there is a larger crowd of kids. Parents can make the kids understand the fun of sharing and togetherness by inculcating the sharing aspect in those kids.
- Assure that the kid dines with family so that the family values are understood and absorbed by the child, which will help them to gain mental flexibility. Through this practice, they also learn the value of family bonding and the joy of togetherness.
- Don’t panic with the tantrums your kid would try out to fulfill their desire. Be assertive when asking your child to do something. You are not asking them for a favor. Also, make clear the?consequences of non-compliance.
- It is important to spend quality time with your kid. Most of the parents get too busy that they will not have time to spend time with their children. Do not do this, as your children need you around them. This can reduce the development of stubbornness nature in your children.? Appreciate your kid when they listen to your words and become calm. Appreciation would encourage them to be less adamant and thereby can reduce their stubbornness
It would be advisable to parents not to think the stubbornness of their kid as a pessimistic trait. Rather treat it as a persistent behaviour of your kid.